Friday, January 27, 2012

You're My Type : Chapter 7

7: Genius Katey



KATEY:         Hi… I’m Katey Lewis. (I’M TREMBLING AS I LOOK AT EVERYONE’S FACES) Ummm… Today’s discussion was really good… (MY VOICE WAS SHAKY AND THEY ALL SEEMED SO BORED.)



Then I looked at Grey Sanders, wondering what he’s thinking. Wondering what should I do now that I’m breathing harder!



GREY:           Don’t waste time! (HE YELLED AT ME) Talk!!!




KATEY:         (THEN I TOOK A DEEP BREATH) However, there are some unexpected mistakes from each speaker. (WHICH I STILL CONSIDER SO WEIRD) And I know all of you are intelligent people, so how come no one seemed to notice those simple errors.



STUDENTS:    (EVERYONE BLINKED, STARED AT ME, THEN MURMURED) What mistakes?



KATEY:         Let’s start with the person who made the first report, the man from the Math Club. (AND BOLDER NOW, I OPENED MY MOUTH TO CONTINUE.) You used a wrong formula in solving that difficult equation.



And Grey Sanders looked so amused and interested with a beam in his handsome face as I spoke in front.


₪ ¤ ₪ ¤ ₪



KATEY:         So that’s all I can say. (I SAID AND WORRIED I MIGHT FAINT AFTER THAT LONG SPEECH I MADE)You’re all good, really!!! And I hope you’re not… angry?



The silence around the room is vibrating through my body. And when everyone blankly and coldly gazed at me for so long, I felt my blood coming up in my face.



Now every single part of body is trembling but I moaned in relief when someone from the crowd hoisted up and he was smiling at me as he walks closer.



GREY:           Well said! (HE’S NOW STANDING BESIDE ME, THEN HE TAPPED MY BACK) You did great!



And everyone started clapping their hands, applauding for what I did. And for the first time I thought that this very moment is a fairytale scene in my life! Everything was so surreal!



STUDENTS:            Remarkable!




KATEY:         Huh? (I JUST COULDN’T BELIEVE THEY’RE NOT ANGRY AND THAT THEY ACTUALLY APPROVED MY SPEECH!)



GREY:           They will be angrier if you didn’t correct their mistakes.



KATEY:         What do you mean?



GREY:           Didn’t you say they are the Genius Types. You know it’s hard for them to pretend committing those mistakes when they really know the correct answers.



DAYLE:         And harder to pretend we didn’t noticed! (THEN HE CHUCKLED) It’s a torture listening to incorrect lessons!



KATEY:         You all knew about this?



DAYLE:         Didn’t I said you’re in a “Special Attention Program” (THEY DID THIS FOR ME?)





GREY:         Just another ingenious plan of mine! (OH I HATE THAT SMIRK! HE LOOKED SO COOL)




STUDENT 1:       Katey Lewis, right? You’re one smart kid!



STUDENT 2:    So outstanding! You were able to correct all mistakes from different fields.



A flash of delight curled up in my lips. This is the second time that someone said and remembered my name, and appreciated what I did! After the conference, Grey and I are walking side-by-side at the hallway…



GREY:           You’re showing that stupid face again!



KATEY:       They are all praising me! (CAN’T HE CONSIDER THAT I’M JUST VERY HAPPY?) Thanks to your plot.



GREY:     You were great by your own… (WOW! A COMPLIMENT FROM THE PRESIDENT! AT LONG LAST!) But you know what, I kind like distracted with your hair when you were in front. You look scary with that kind of hairstyle.



KATEY:         You’re off-the-topic! Why is it my hair all of a sudden?



GREY:           ‘Coz you look so outdated with that bangs! Ever heard of hairpin? I advise you to use one.



KATEY:         What? (HE’S DEFINITELY TRYING TO RUIN MY MOMENT!) This is my style! I like it this way!



GREY:           You call that a ‘style’? Are you kidding me? (THEN HE MOVED CLOSER) You must be really ugly that’s why you’re hiding that face.



KATEY:         Hey! Just because you are good-looking, doesn’t mean you are allowed to insult me!



GREY:           Then make yourself a favor, come to school looking like… (HE BRUSHED ASIDE MY BANGS BY PLACING HIS HAND IN MY FOREHEAD.) This…



KATEY:         Aww… this is embarrassing!!! (ESPECIALLY NOW THAT HE’S STARING AT MY BARE FACE.)



Grey was silenced for a moment so I removed his hand from my face. And I thought I saw him blushed, but I’m not really sure! There was an awkward silence around, and thank goodness someone intruded.



LLOYD:       Hey wait up!!! (HE WAS A MAN WEARING GEEK EYEGLASSES.) Katey Lewis! (AND HE WAS CALLING MY NAME! MY NAME?) Thank goodness I catch up with you!!!



KATEY:         You’re… the Math president… from the conference! (I STAMMERED)



LLOYD:         Yeah… my name is Lloyd. And I have a proposal to make. What you did at that conference was really notable! (MY EYES WIDENED AFTER HEARING THE WORD ‘PROPOSAL’) And I think you’re a Mathlete!!!



Mathlete? I’m a mathlete or what others call, a ‘math genius’! And I couldn’t believe with my own eyes and ears that those words came from Lloyd, the president of Math Club!



LLOYD:        I will wait for your answer. (HE PATTED MY SHOULDER AFTER HE INVITED ME TO JOIN HIS CLUB) Goodbye!



And never in my entire life did I expect that these things will ever happen to me.



GREY:      That’s your second offer. (I JUST NODDED BUT IN DISBELIEF. IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING?)



He left me alone while deliberating whether or not I’m dreaming. But this is real! All of this are real!



And so the past few days of my school life was a dream happening in reality! Now going to school is much exciting, especially now that there are already a few people who recognize me.


₪ ¤ ₪ ¤ ₪



Oh! And just so you know… I also had to consider Grey’s advice about my hairstyle. He’s right! Maybe I’m too old for my bangs! So I tried a different hairstyle now.



But I wonder if I really look okay with this…  I mean with the hairpin I’m wearing right now! What will Grey Sanders think with my hairstyle?


End of Chapter 7

5 comments:

Say something if you like this post!!! ^_^